Effective communication with healthcare providers is essential for your health and peace of mind. Here are some suggestions for making your next office visit more effective and efficient.
- Jot down notes about your personal health and health history. Include aches and pains, allergies, sleep problems, diet and exercise habits, and anything else you think may affect your health.
- Make a list of any questions or health concerns you may have before you see your provider.
- Keep an updated list of all prescription and over-the-counter medications, as well as any herbal or other supplements you may take, along with the dosage and frequency of each. Take this list with you each time you go to the doctor.
- Bring a pen and notepad to your appointment, and take notes on what the doctor and office staff tell you.
- Ask questions of the doctor and office staff, especially if you don’t understand something.
- Bring your health insurance cards and any other documents you think you may need for your visit.